Before posting I watched in horror as these miniatures fell to the hardwood floor whilst attempting to move them to a room with better light. Amazingly the paint survived really well bare some small chips (they are still unvarnished), and only three tops of bows had to be re-glued. There's a couple of bits that need fixing properly, so please bear that in mind...
|Defence of a Fence|
After finishing the Mordheim Freelancer last week, I got cracking with a new project. SAGA was a game that I followed closely before it was released, but somehow never got round to playing it.
I planned to get a Welsh warband back then, but eventually opted for the Normans (I have a bit of a soft spot for the old sods). I've also treated myself to a few Norse Gaels primarily to represent dubious oiks from the Hebrides (Kingdom of the Isles).
The vague setting we have in mind for our games is Britain 1066, where Harald Hardrada won at Stamford Bridge and took York as a base of operations and capital, and where William still won at Hastings - leaving the contention for the ultimate control of England and the rest of Britain more open between the factions.
Firstly, the Gripping Beast miniatures are (of course) beautiful, with very little flash on them. The only minor criticism is that the front of the crossbows have to be cut from the torso. It's a good idea to make it a single sculpt but there were one or two that were a bit flimsy and one snapped irreparably.
The plan was to balance quality with speed when painting these, so I wanted to develop a half-decent tabletop standard but get the whole 4 point force painted in under 20 days - currently I'm still on track to get that done. I've been painting two or three at a time, and with a couple of days of no painting I've averaged 1-2 models per day. Could be quicker, but I'm happy with that.
These have been enjoyable to paint and another good lesson in painting. I'm slowly edging forward in trying to be a bit more bold with highlighting and shading, but similarly I don't want to have too high a contrast between them.
Lessons Wot I Have Learned:
- Mix paints less - usually as I forget what I actually mixed later
- Base coats make a difference - this has become very apparent on these, as the archer and crossbowman in green are painted Loren Green but the crossbowman's first coat was Stegadon Green and gave the slightly richer colour I wanted. No mixing necessary. Inks have been used less on these too.
|In progress: I've found the lens case of an old telescope is great for holding the mini whilst painting|
And last but not least
After passing the 100,000 hit mark and getting two more Liebster nominations from Carl at Hitting on a Double 1 and Marshal Argos at 313th Drop Troop Regt (both excellent blogs I urge you to visit immediately if you haven't), I just wanted to thank everyone that has ever taken the time to visit or comment on my blog. I know it's a cliche but I pretty much expected this to fade into complete obscurity, but instead I've found a superb bunch of like minded people who produce amazing hobby goodness and continue to share fantastic ideas and motivate me to keep up this lark. That's the soppy bit over now.