"Freeway Fighter" Adventure Gamebook - Episode 2

Last week on Freeway Fighter...
For part 1, click here

The last episode saw our intrepid non-hero (who seems to be a painfully real version of me channelling Alan Partridge mostly) tasked with driving across a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of marauders in order to collect a fuel tanker from a distant city. Thankfully they'd given me a heavily weaponised Dodge Interceptor. Basically, the plot to Mad Max. However I have no driving licence - never mind insurance. And come to think of it, I don't remember the town council that sent me on this mad task even giving me a map... All sounds promising doesn't it. 

So far on my quest for petroleum distillate, I have met a cyclist looking to loot some abandoned shops. It didn't get off to the best of starts as he waved a shotgun around at me when I went to say hello. But then I imagine you would be a bit tetchy if your only means of transport through the apocalypse was a bicycle. He warned me not to stop at a nearby petrol station as I would be robbed (just like a modern British petrol station then - ooh satire), I followed his advice and drove on despite the allures of the gasoline siren beckoning me onto the forecourt.

The story continues...

Episode #2
Starts on page 167 for those reading along at home

I was back on the road again after a close call at Joe's Garage (if our cyclist friend was to be believed - maybe the woman really did like me. Maybe). Either way, I treated myself to a fresh Mint Imperial from the glove box, and popped a new mix tape onto the radio


Even driving through a desolate wasteland I had a quick look around to make sure nobody could see me singing, I mean that would be embarrassing. I put my foot to the floor and watch the needle go up to 190km/h (118mph in proper), "...you had a temper, like my jealousy; too hot, too gree --"

Cook a cat. There's someone following me and matching my speed. In a red Chevvy, not on foot - that really would be cause for concern. I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't want to overtake. Mostly because his mate is leaning out of the top and pointing an M16A1 at me. 

Gah, my armour is down from 35 to 34...
It's times like this that make think I should have worked out what all of the buttons in the car did. A short burst of 5.56 rounds hit the tarmac beside me as I fumble for the turret-mounted machine gun. As the rear windscreen wipers wave furiously at my pursuer I realise that this might not quite cut the mustard. Unperturbed, the red chevvy continues his pursuit. After hitting the hazard lights, I finally manage to get the computerised turret to whir into life and two of the bursts find their target which swerves off course slightly.

But it was too early to start celebrating just yet. The machine gunner is leaning out of the red chevvy again. This time the burst of fire rakes the side of my car, making a right mess of the paintwork. Another burst from my computerised turret hits my would-be-attacker's tyres and I watch through the rear view mirror as he careens across the road, rolls over a couple of times and then vanishes in an improbably large explosion. So that's how it's done.

Now on to page 188

I turn the car around (after decelerating first, I'm not a maniac) to inspect the wreckage of my attackers. Why on earth would somebody attack me unprovoked? Who were these jokers? Given the state of the car, there weren't really any clues as to their identity. I decide to drive on.

New Hope's Council Leader, Sinclair, off to the shops...
Just as I was about to put some more tunes on, the radio burst in to life of it's own accord. It's one of the Council leaders from my hometown of New Hope, the one's that sent me on this road trip through the apocalypse. Nice of them to check up on me at last. She tells me that the town has been attacked by a gang of bikers. Eight people have been killed and they've kidnapped the Council leader, Sinclair. Poor sod. She warns me to be on my guard, I thank her and say goodbye. 

I ignore the looming Plot, and continue my journey down the freeway. Looking around I was reminded of the I-Spy books you got as a kid, to keep you occupied and stop you from saying "are we nearly there yet." You could do one of those now: burnt out car (one of these was down to me), boarded up shack, wandering dogs, an old swing, abandoned fridges... hours of fun.

Ah bugger. Apparently during the Disaster there had been a tail back further down this road I'm driving along, as I soon discover when I pull up behind it. There's definitely no chance that this will ever move, unlike most traffic jams which just feel that way. There's no way through so I turn round and look for another way around. As I exit the highway, I notice the fuel gauge has started to drop, luckily I was sensible enough to pack a jerry can full of petrol. Sat at the junction of the road that passes beneath the highway I'm faced with a dilemma. Which way do I go?

Hmm, something's off here...
Tune in next time to find out!

Comments

  1. Driving 118mph to Kate Bush????

    Left, always turn left when there's a choice and you have no map. Old paper'n'dice rpg wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for me :P Just the sort of music all high speed chase scenes should have I think...

      I shall heed your sage paper'n'dice wisdom sir... it means I can blame you if I die horribly now

      Delete
  2. Seconded. Always left, left, left and left again; that way when someone else in the party manages to reconstitute a vampire and release a lich in the space of one round; you just run right, right, right and right again to get out of the dungeon and back to the light.

    ps. Loved Kate Bush then (yes, I am that old). Still think she's hot now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah! Good thinking that man! If I turn left and it all goes horribly wrong then I can at least blame you lot ;)

      You're not going to get any disagreement from me there, I'm not sure I'd pay £1500 to see her live though...

      Delete
    2. Sorry, but given the 'vampire' and 'lich' references above, is that paying £1500 to see Kate bush live (to rhyme with 'spiv') or live ('to rhyme with 'thrive').

      ...And if the former, what on Earth have you and Zzzzzz done to Kate Bush?

      Delete
    3. I think I'm going to have to resort to "no comment" on this one...

      Delete
  3. Left for me too. Really enjoyed that, very atmospheric and humorously written sir! Looking forward to the next part. (Excellent selection of AP quotes as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta very much sir! I tried to be subtle(ish) with the references, but if I could rely on anyone getting them all it would be you

      Delete
    2. I lived in Norwich for eight years.

      It's all true.

      Delete
    3. Funny Drax, I lived there for 6. :)

      Delete
    4. What a small world it is. For the record I've never lived in Norwich, but I hear rather nice things about it.

      Delete
    5. I've been there too. I have no intention of going back there again unless I'm paid to.

      Delete
    6. I didn't mention it in the post, but this post-apocalyptic world is actually East Anglia.

      Delete
    7. Are you *sure* you haven't been there?

      Actually, despite Zzzzzz's naysaying, Norwich is a great little city. The surrounding stool-water of Norfolk surrounding it is painfully dull, but I really really miss Norwich.

      Speaking as someone for whom the nearest city is that hive of scum and villainy known as Plymouth, I would be the happiest man in the world if I could just pick Norwich up and plonk it on the Tamar instead.

      Delete
    8. I've wanted to visit Norwich for quite a while, I've heard it described as a nicer, quieter and with fewer tourists than my old home of York.

      Delete
  4. By the way, kudos for getting both Kate Bush AND Sir Clive into the same fantasy/sci-fi themed blog post.

    They said it wasn't posssible...

    They were wrong.






    [*sings* "It's meeee, It's Cathyyyy, I've come home now..."]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha ta muchly, I laugh in the face of the impossible. Well sometimes, usually I just run away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thunder Titanium Lighting by Toto | Toto | Toto | Toto | TOTO | Toto
    Thunder Titanium men\'s titanium wedding bands Lighting is a very unique microtouch trimmer light bulb that is one of the most apple watch series 6 titanium stunning and versatile titanium pots and pans LED lighting options for a titanium ring great lighting experience $45.00 · ‎Out of stock

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment