This was supposed to be last night's tentatively Hallowe'en-themed post but alas I was paged into work in the evening. But now I'm treating myself to an evening of light model work and bit of painting - and maybe even a cheeky glass of wine (it's good for blood pressure... honest).
Inspired by various Bioshock Hallowe'en costumes (including my fiancee's, she's going to the work do as a Tommy-gun toting Splicer - clearly love at first sight there) I decided to dig out some of the Bioshock Big Daddy miniatures I acquired almost 18 months ago (I told you it was a tentative link). These were bought from Recreation Conflict / Lead Bones (their blog is here) and I have to say the communication from Richard was superb.
|The Lead Bones Hardusit at the green stage, shows off the components nicely|
These are really nice little sculpts, easy to put together (despite the crap glue I got), with hardly any flash, and they're a lot bigger when put together than I thought they would be. The modularity is great too, I got the 5 mini "Hardsuit" (that's their proper name) pack from the Recreation Conflict site and they came with loads of variants - there's enough arms to have the drill-bit or the drum mag gun on either the left arm, and plenty of left and right arms with normal hands too. The ball and socket joints mean you can be far more inventive with the poses than I've been.
These were originally purchased for the Adeptus Mechanicus Patrol Force idea that got me back into 40k. The concept was that they were an Explorator Force that specialised in oceanic salvage and tech-archaeology. Even as a Patrol Force this was starting to look very expensive (the bitz box is still bursting at the seams, but some of the components I got have found their way into the Mawdryn conversions and I think I gave some bits and pieces to Colonel Scipio). The intention was to use these "Hardsuits" as either Legio Cybernetica robots used by the force, or (with a little more conversion) as the Praetorian heavy troops of the Mechanicus Skitarii. That is probably the role they will be used in mostly, but I'm sure they can be pressed into service as various obscure gribblies in Necromunda and other games. I think a Mechanicus Kill Team is going to have to be done at some point, but as I've said before, I'm making sure more of the Mawdryn stuff is painted before I start any other 40k projects (but it's nice to have a change occasionally).
The idea is to paint these up in a copper scheme, with lots of nice water weathering (and maybe the odd bit of sea weed) and red eyes (maybe even a little Bioshock still blood on the drill fists...).
Anyhoo, that's all for now, call back soon for Part II of Creating Fluff... toodle pipski for now